Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Two Mammal Rule

This morning, before they were fed and walked, Willie and Oates had this quiet moment together.

Oates often sleeps on the couch and Willie often sleeps in my bed. I can't remember exactly how or when that started. When they were puppies, they lived in crates as that seemed to be the best way to train them and keep them out of trouble. A few years later, the crates were tossed out. Oates usually takes the couch or sometimes a pillow on the floor. His snoring usually precludes him joining me.

Willie has long had the habit of following me and, even at nearly 13, has the cat-like ability to leap into my bed which stands a few feet from the ground. He often curls himself into what I call the "comma" position, tightly snuggled into my side.

I somewhat jokingly made up the "two mammal" rule for my bed years ago; when I've had a woman sharing my bed, it's generally understood that both dogs stay out in the living room. When I'm sleeping alone, as I have been much of this year, Willie leaps into my bed, often right before or after I have fallen asleep.

This morning, I was late for an appointment but stayed in bed a few minutes longer just to hold Willie. He was curled up in my arms, his head in my chest, like a baby.  I'm anxiously waiting for his test results that will confirm that his recent hospital stay was either a temporary illness or something more grave and permanent.

When I finally get up and shower, he usually leaps from the bed and takes a place next to his brother on the couch, as in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment